Student Support Services

International Student Manager

The International student support services are here to assist you in the following areas:

  • Course Information
  • Accommodation assistance
  • Internship advice
  • Travel advice
  • Health care advice
  • Any issues that are important to you

Legal Services

International students in need of legal support can contact the Study Melbourne Student Centre, where their support staff can help to assess the nature your legal queries and refer you to an appropriate legal organisation.

Contact information

Phone: 1800 056 449 (free call from landline phones) 
E-mail: [email protected]
Drop-in to the office: 599 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

Consumer Affairs Victoria:

Victoria Legal Aid: Legal Aid Provides free information on how the law works and how it applies to your legal problems. Phone: 1300 792 387.


Need somewhere to live while you study?

There are a number of internet booking services for last minute temporary accommodation at hotels and short stay apartments. These include:;; and

Student accommodation can be arrange through

Tenants Victoria:
Renter support line (03) 9416 2577

Oz homestay, 1300 024 628

Global experience student housing, (03) 9016 3990

Urbanest, 1800 260 801

Employment Options

Part time or casual positions, full time work, voluntary work

Job websites

If you intend to work in Australia, you must apply for a tax file number.

Tip: You can apply for a tax file number online at the Australian Taxation Office website,


Dial 000, and ask for Police, Fire or Ambulance

112 Can also be dialled from mobile phones

Bulk Billing Medical Centre 
(no cost to you if you have a Medicare card)

  • Doctors
  • Dentists
  • X-Ray
  • Physiotherapy

If you do not visit a Bulk Billing Facility you will be charged to see a Doctor.

OSHC does not cover the full cost of your visit.

Counseling Support

Lifeline Australia Call 13 11 14 24/7 Crisis Support

Headspace online 24 hour support at

Discounted Travel

For information on discounted travel tickets please visit

Overseas Students’ Ombudsman

The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman investigates complaints that international students have with private education providers. It provides support to future, current or former students and is free of charge.

There are some issues it cannot assist with, so log on or ring before you lodge a complaint.

You will need to contact the Ombudsman in the state or territory in which you are studying to lodge a complaint. You can find details of what the Ombudsman can investigate on their website. Below is the website for the Victorian Ombudsman website for students studying in Melbourne :

Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

The Tuition Protection Service is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist you if your institution (referred to as ‘Education Provider’ under the TPS) is unable to fully deliver your course of study.

The TPS may also assist you if you have withdrawn from or not started your course, you are eligible for a refund of tuition fees, and the institution has not refunded them.

The TPS will ensure that you are able to either: Complete your studies in another course or with another institution, or

Receive a refund of your unspent tuition fees.

Under the TUITION PROTECTION SERVICE international students have a number of rights and obligations. For more information visit the TUITION PROTECTION SERVICE website.

Additonal Support:

If you would like more information about studying Building and Construction with TIV,
please email us at: [email protected] or connect with one of our preferred agents listed preferred agents


Who can I get in touch with for course and subject support?

Speak with our with specialist course advisers to get questions answered about course planning and enrolment or our student support services. Both are available on: 03 9399 9511 or via [email protected]

When should I aim to arrive in Melbourne?

If you are enrolling in 2024, aim to arrive before Orientation starts.  

How can I open an Australian bank account?

Find information to get started in setting up your bank account in Australia. Remember to do your own research or drop into a branch to get your questions answered.

What is the cost of living in Melbourne now, including food?

Study Melbourne is an excellent resource for learning about the cost of living in Melbourne. For more information, see Study Melbourne’s Cost of living in Victoria page.

How do I get around in Melbourne?

Melbourne has the world’s largest tram network, as well as an extensive system of trains and buses. Find all the ways you can move around in Melbourne via public transport.