TIV’s (CPC40110) Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is designed to meet the needs of aspiring builders in low rise residential and commercial construction.
This certificate, along with three years of practical experience in the building industry, is a common pathway to becoming a Registered Builder. It is also a pathway to roles such as Project Manager, Estimator/Scheduler, or Contract Administrator.
What you’ll learn
Increase your job opportunities in the building and construction industry with skills and knowledge in the following areas:
Low-rise domestic & commercial construction skills
Application of Building Codes and Standards
Each student receives a package of material valued at $300 containing:
• The National Construction Code
• The Australian House Building Manual
• The Guide to Standards and Tolerances
• Forms and templates that can be badged and branded to be used for your own future use
For students specifically interested in becoming a Registered Builder, TIV provides a specialist workshop to prepare you for undertaking the Victorian Building Authority’s builder registration process.
The course is delivered over 6 months. It is comprised of 30 weeks of timetabled training followed by a 10-week phase during which any additional training and support is provided via our Student Support Program. We do this to ensure that no one is left behind.
Students are required to attend timetabled training for two 3 hour evening sessions per week, either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. Site-based practical projects are also included in the timetabled delivery phase.
- Virtual Classroom – 25th of May 2021 (Tuesday and Thursday nights)
- Dandenong – 31st of May 2021 (Monday and Wednesday nights)
- Virtual Classroom – 7th of June 2021 (Monday and Wednesday)
- Williamstown – 28th of June 2021 (Monday and Wednesday nights)
- Attwood (Tullamarine) – 13th of July 2021 (Tuesday and Thursday nights)
Typical Course Fee
Don’t let financial hurdles get in your way of study. TIV has flexible payment plans available to help you get the education you want.
TIV’s training services are delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth funding to eligible individuals. Only Victoria residents are eligible for the Skills First Government Funding. If you are from interstate you are able to enrol in the course but will have to pay the full fee.
Please refer to the individual course page for a clear breakdown of fees, or see our Schedule of Fees here.
The student fees are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees may apply such as student services and amenity fees
|CORE UNITS||UNIT TITLE|
|CPCCBC4001A||Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects|
|CPCCBC4002A||Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace|
|CPCCBC4003A||Select and prepare a construction contract|
|CPCCBC4004A||Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects|
|CPCCBC4005A||Produce labour and material scheduling for ordering|
|CPCCBC4006B||Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects|
|CPCCBC4007A||Plan building and construction work|
|CPCCBC4008B||Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects|
|CPCCBC4009B||Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects|
|CPCCBC4010B||Apply structural principals to residential low rise constructions|
|CPCCBC4011B||Apply structural principals to commercial low rise constructions|
|CPCCBC4012B||Read and interpret plans and specifications|
|BSBSMB421||Manage small business finances|
|CPCCBC4020A||Build thermally efficient and sustainable structures|
|BSBITU212||Create and use spreadsheets|
|BSBSMB404||Undertake small business planning|
- You are eighteen (18) years or older
- Construction industry experience is an advantage, as is experience in settings with transferrable skills such as:
- Competitive tendering
- Property maintenance
- You have a laptop with Microsoft office programs (or equivalent) and internet access for the duration of the course
- You can read, write and speak English competently
“The course has been great – really beneficial. Everyone at TIV has been really helpful and super professional.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, TIV’s training services are delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth funding to eligible individuals.
If your highest qualification is years 10-12, or a Certificate I, II or III level or equivalent, you may be eligible to access government funding for this course.
To confirm if you’re eligible for government funding, check out the online Funding Eligibility Indicator here or call us on (03) 9399 9511 to discuss your options.
Yes, on completion you will be issued with the Nationally Recognised qualification:
- (CPC40110) Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)
Yes, there will be two compulsory Saturday sessions where you will attend face to face. One will be a Super Saturday (inspecting TIV buildings under construction). The other will be a site visit (inspecting private buildings under construction). These will be located around Melbourne.
- A computer or laptop with Microsoft Office (not an iPad)
- A mobile phone or landline for dialling into the Audio Conference
- Internet access
- Being available during the hours set on the timetable
- WhatsApp downloaded
- Video access for ZOOM
Job opportunities from the course involve:
- Registered Building Practitioner
- Site Manager
- Project Manager
- Contract Administration
- Private Building Inspector
Yes, there are support sessions provided every Saturday morning (except for long weekends) at our Williamstown campus. These sessions are open to any current TIV student. Individualised additional training and support is also available through the Student Support Team.
You can also call the office on 9399 9511 between 9am and 5pm and get some help from student support.
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) registers builders once it has established through its assessment processes that you are a suitable candidate for registration. This involves a searching assessment of your skills and knowledge, coupled with evidence of at least 3 years’ experience involved in running building projects.
The (CPC40110) Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) course covers areas on which you will be assessed by the VBA. Accordingly, it is a valuable achievement on your pathway to becoming a registered builder.
No, only Victoria residents are eligible for the Skills First Government Funding. If you are from interstate you are able to enrol in the course but will have to pay the full fee.
- Increase your job opportunities and knowledge in the Building and Construction Industry.
- Gain expertise and abilities to support your Domestic Builder Limited (DB-L) Registered Building Practitioner application and contribute to a Domestic Builder – Unlimited (DB-U) application.
- Learn about building codes, preparing contracts and building permits, regulations, read and interpret plans, and building project management.
The next step is to contact TIV on (03) 9399 9511 to discuss the best options that would suit your needs. TIV runs a Become a Registered Builder (BARB) Program for existing students. This has been established as an extra support for you after the completion of the Certificate IV and Diploma in Building and Construction- to support you achieve your Building Licence.
More information can be found at email@example.com